9.01.2011

2011-09-01 Immortal Song 2

*sob sob* I can't believe I actually went back a page and lost everything I blogged. Hate the new Blogger interface which didn't save drafts automatically like before. urg I'm switching back :( And have to reblog again....
~~~
It's been a long while since I last followed Korean variety shows. The last one was the Adams couple on WGM...I was pretty obsessed for a while. The biggest reason I don't spend a lot of time watching is because I can't seem to get myself to just sit and stare at my computer for subs. It just felt unproductive. Which is why I gave up on watching dramas. Heck I'm not even watching "Protect the Boss" and Jaejoong is in it. I'm such a bad fan T_T

Anyhow, a few months ago I tried to follow Kim Yuna's Kiss&Cry. At first I really liked it because it's different and it has Kim Yuna (of course), Son Dam Bi, Yunho, IU, and Krystal in it. But after a few episodes there's not much variety and things got boring (not to mention it was hard to find subbed episodes). I know not to have high expectation but I just couldn't help it after a few episodes in. While there are some good skaters, others not so much. And after watching this I really don't like Krystal. I feel that she gives off this haughty aura...and she glares too much. In the end Kiss&Cry didn't work out for me and I had to say goodbye.

Then just recently, during a random youtube watching session, I encountered Immortal Song 2.
This is probably the best show I watched so far. It's so fun to watch idols compete against each other! :) Not only it has idols whom I like (unlike I Am Singer or random competition like American Idol, I actually know the idols!), it also features vocals, vocals, and more vocals! (= like like like! I'm a big fan on skills hence my liking for main vocalists in kpop groups = this show is perfect for me!) I also got a taste of Korea music history. Not to mention the arrangements are pleasing to the ear and MC Shin Dong Yeop is hilarious!!! :D Especially when he teases the idols. Through this show I also realized some people I rarely paid attention to. Therefore I quite enjoy the change of competitors once in a while :) I think I'll do a quick summary on some of the competitors:

IU// IU was featured in the pilot episode. Although she's known to be a great singer I think comparatively her voice lacks versatility. Her voice is really light which fits really well with sad songs. Her low notes sometimes reminds me of Taeyeon lol. However, I feel that every song sounds the same? Maybe they're the same style~all sad songs? O:

Song Ji Eun// After hearing her solo "Going Crazy", I had some expectation. But I was disappointed in her performance on this song. Her voice was less bright, in fact it's kinda quiet. Because her voice is very fine and less powerful, her voice is less versatile in delivering the necessary emotions or fierceness of certain songs. Overall, her songs weren't wow-ing. I partially blaming the arrangement.

Yesung// Yesung was a surprise to me. Before I only knew him as the Lee Jun Ki lookalike. I honestly did not know he can sing so well! I love when he sings loooww and high!! hahahaa Mann he gives me the goosebumps when he sings :D He has really good control of his voice. Not to mention he looks so hot on stage (especially when he's wearing black). haha I found my new favorite SUJU member! :)

Jonghyun// Jonghyun's voice is amazing. You can just hear it when he's talking. I love how it's so powerful and clean. However, I don't think he fully demonstrated his abilities on this show. As well, through this I got a glimpse of Jonghyun's musical taste...it's definitely interesting but not my cup of tea. He seems to have this inner rocker in him. lol And it's interesting when comparing Jonghyun with Yesung. Just through the way they talk and their reaction, you can tell Yesung is a lot more calm and mature. XD

Yoseob// Another surprise. I never really paid attention for Beast member but now I know who sang those lovely vocals for Beast songs. I love his voice too. But more importantly Yoseob's hilarious!!!! I love how he can never remember his lyrics. lololololol watching him cracks me up XD especially when he's trying to act out the lyrics with a mannequin in episode 1. omg lololololol

Changmin// I had always thought he was the serious one in 2AM. But he turns out to be really playful and funny XD But in his performances he focuses too much on the other extra details rather than the singing. Throughout all the episodes he was in, I feel he was experimenting through different song styles. I know he's a good singer but throughout the performances he never really made me love any song. Maybe it's the song choice? btw during his duet with Lee Hyun's they looked like twins. lol!

Hyorin// Hyorin's husky voice is definitely advantageous for a powerful performance, whether it's an emotional song or a dance performance. At first I loved her voice but then my liking sort of faded afterwards as the show continued on. Being the first winner, I think Hyorin is actually really confident in her performances. One thing I don't like is she never seems to sing a lot in duets and sometimes the huskiness of her voice bothered me, especially when high notes get raspy (it sounded like she's sick; voice is not clean). Then I realize that never happens on recordings for Sistar songs.

Hong Ki// As a band's lead vocalist, he has a bright voice. Although I'm not a complete fan of band music, I do like Hong Ki's voice. And have to say he's witty and funny. I think my favorite episode of him was definitely his duet with Heechul. They were hilarious XD (especially Heechul).

Junsu & G.O// Both of them were in bands I didn't really think great vocalists existed. They obviously proved wrong. I can't say their voice gave me the shivers like Yesung's did but I now realized their talents and will pay more attention to their songs.

Jiyoon// For some reason she reminds me of Hyuna @_@ Maybe it's the 4Minute charisma XD I feel that she tends to sound like she's shouting during high notes? Her range is the greatest, higher ends sounds strained, thus she's not suited for ballads. Though I still do enjoy her energetic performances.

For episode 8, the special top male vocalist, I was so amazed at some of them. I rarely listen to them and is now definitely interested. Firstly, Hwanhee. OMG his low voice is so hot XD K.Will's voice is a killer ^^ and Im Tae Kyung. omg this is my first time listening to popera and I LOVE IT!!!!! :) :) :)

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment