11.08.2008

Veronica Mars (Season 3)


WARNING: May contain spoilers

It was always refreshing when I took a break from asian dramas and watched english reality shows once in a while. Just recently, I finished the last season of teen drama/mystery show, Veronica Mars. I must say the entire season, especially the ending disappointed me very much...to me, it felt incomplete...

Storyline and Characters
Unlike previous seasons, there were three big cases for Veronica to solve, one after another. Veronica is at Neptune's Hearst College where she was a freshman, along with Logan, Wallace, and Mac. The first case was introduced in the second episode where Mac's roommate, Parker, was raped and shaved. Through series of investigations, the case was solved in the ninth episode, which was also the episode where the second case was introduced: The Murder of Dean O'Dell. I personally didn't like the last case, looking for the person who put up sex tapes of Veronica and new boyfriend, Piz. The case wasn't greatly developed and the ending was really abrupt.

New characters were introduced. Parker, roommate of Mac, and Piz, roommate of Wallace, became Veronica's new friends. There were new Hearst students. Interesting observation: Since college, Veronica rarely hangs out with Wallace. Instead she was more with the girls, Mac and Parker, or with her boyfriend. Weevil is back, but not as a gangster but as a Hearst janitor. Due Beaver's death, viewers get to see another side of Dick. In this season, Sheriff Don Lamb was killed and Keith Mars became interim sheriff.


Relationships and Personalities
I find that Veronica grew meaner and less considerate as time goes on. In the first season, her meanness could be understood due to everything that happened to her. It gave her a little edgy, unique personality that's different from most average teen reality shows. The second season, Veronica was okay too. But in the third season, I felt that Veronica grew more ignorant and more self-centered. I was really annoyed at her nosiness and stubbornness that later caused her relationship with Logan to end. I personally like Logan better than Piz. Unlike Veronica, Logan became more and more considerate and caring. His attitude and temper got better.

Logan's relationship with Veronica was all fine until Veronica started to pry into his past actions. One thing that bugged me was that Veronica didn't trust Logan, always misunderstood him. It felt like she didn't really accept who he really is. At the end of the season, Veronica and Piz were together and Logan broke up with Parker.

Veronica and Keith's father-daughter relationship was still tight as ever. However, I felt really sad and sorry of Keith because of Veronica's actions. I felt that Veronica led her father down. In this season, I felt that she only cared about getting her pride back and getting rid of her own problems that she rarely considered what others, including Keith, thought.

Overall: After watching all three seasons of Veronica Mars, I must say I liked the first season the best. It focused more on high school problems and realistic problems. Also,Veronica's personality was better portrait. The last arc in the third season was a big let down of the season. It was too quick and the ending was not very well concluded. But there are many different new techniques introduced in this season, such as the way Veronica ended the second arc. A new theme, a more grown up feeling, was given...and it fitted pretty well. Overall, my favorite character is still Logan ^^. My favorite episode of the season is episode 9 because it was well-rounded and different from others. My favorite season is season1. But I'm glad that Veronica Mars didn't continue as a 1st-year FBI show in season four. Veronica Mars will always be the awesome teen PI in my mind^^

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment