1.29.2010

////

Sounds of January: New & Old Groups

I think I can take out some time today to write about all the crazy stuff happened over the past month. (Finally done the dreadful midterms! hooray!)

So more kpop boy groups debuted a long with some new songs from familiar kpop members. I've been itching to comment on these new songs, especially from these new groups. So here I go...

First up, debuted January 7: ZE:A (Children of Empire)(제국의 아이들)
This group has 9 members (Moon Jun Young, Kevin Kim,Hwang Kwang Hee, Im Si Wan, Kim Tae Hun, Jung Hee Chul, Ha Min Woo, Park Hyung Shik, and Kim Dong Jun). Their debut song is called Mazeltov.


My Take: I find this group average. First of all, 9 members?!! I think it's really not worth having so many members. Even in Super Junior and SNSD, some members outshine others. Not all the talent gets discovered when you are in a huge group. About their song, Mazeltov. The melody is fine but the lyrics bother me very much - it has no depth! "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday" ...uhhhh is this an attempt to show off their english skills? "Latin girl, Mexican girl, Korean girl, Japan girl"...uh?? Culturally, Mazeltov is said in celebration for "good luck". Dunno if it should be used in everyday language like a song... Well, I didn't get a chance to listen to their other songs in their mini-album, Nativity (Nativity is the birth of Jesus -- very Christmasy, Mazeltov and Nativity...@-@). I doubt this group will make it big in the future.

Then the following day, debuted on January 8: F.Cuz (포커즈) -pronounced Focus-(F.Cuz = FOUR CUZ = FOCUS = @_@). This group has 4 members (LeeU, Yejun, Kan, and Jinon). Their debut song is called Jiggy (reminds me of a Jell-O commercial song)


My Take: Overall, the song is catchy (probably with all the repetition of Jiggy!!). It has a strong beat but it is just like all the other kpop groups. They didn't really bring anything fresh to the table. From the mv, they kinda remind me of Big Bang (maybe it's because of their outfits :D). If they want to make it big (like DBSK or Big Bang big), they got to find a way to be different or they will stay as an average boy group.

Then, debuted on January 14: C.N Blue (Code Name Blue)
This group has 4 members (Jonghyun, Yonghwa, Jungshin, and Minhyuk). Their debut song is called I'm a Loner.


My Take: The group is worth watching. They are like the next FT Island (they are with the same company =D) Different from your everybody kpop groups, I think C.N.Blue brings a fresher sound. I like the song. It has a strong rhythm and is quite catchy ("sad sad sad sad sad sad sad tonight"...) but its lyric is actually meaningful! not just some random catchy words on repeat! Overall, out of all three new groups, I think I like C.N. Blue the best right now. Awaiting their progress :)

Now, in the month of January we got some new solos too! Firstly there's Hyuna's "Change".This dance pop song has a great beat and catchy tune. Though, as a debut song, it didn't really show off her singing ability or her dancing skills. All she does is "uh uh uh uh uh change change change change" with chest pops and pelvic thrusts. She can do better. But her sexy image will sure attract a lot of male fans. lol

On the other hand, Daesung's solo song Cotton Candy is completely the opposite. It's a slow ballad. Personally, when it comes to ballad, I focus more on the singing voice since I don't really understand what the song is about it. But if you find the translation, the song is pretty cute and sweet =) I think this song is good at showing off Daesung singing talent though I'm not a big fan of it.

And of course we have the lovely cute duo Jo Kwon and Ga-In with "We Fell In Love". They are sooo cutte on WGM, especially when they did the song first on MBC Radio =D Speaking of Jo Kwon, I'm so excited to hear 2AM's new song "Can't Let You Go Even If I Die" It's a really lovely song. It makes you really appreciate their voices and their music. But of course, the group with the best voice is no other than DBSK! They released their latest Japanese single "Break Out". This song is like "Rising Song" and "O", it's very fast pace. The pv has a dark mood -- kinda creepy. But I like their new haircuts =) Hope 2010 works out for DBSK!! Fighting!

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment